About the Role
Location: London, England, UK (Remote)
Salary: £52,000 - £80,000 a year.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer who specialises in Android development and is passionate about creating innovative, accessible solutions that meet the needs of our users. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of designing and developing high-quality Android apps, with a strong focus on accessibility and usability. They will have experience implementing good practices and guidelines to ensure the highest standards of accessibility and will be committed to staying up to date with the latest trends in accessibility technology. In addition to technical expertise, the ideal candidate should demonstrate great communication skills, an ability to collaborate within cross-functional teams, and have experience mentoring other team members.
If you are a Senior Software Engineer with a focus on accessibility and a commitment to creating accessible solutions, we encourage you to apply.
- Designing and developing advanced applications for the Android platform that meet high standards of accessibility, usability, and performance, with a focus on both consumer-facing apps and apps for transport staff.
- Collaborating closely with our product and design teams to translate user needs and business requirements into technical specifications and implement them in code, with a strong emphasis on accessibility as a critical component of our apps.
- Writing clean, well-documented, and well-tested code for robustness and scalability, with a focus on accessibility standards such as WCAG and Google’s Accessibility Guidelines. You will work closely with our QA team to develop and execute comprehensive test plans to ensure the quality and performance of our apps.
- Guiding and mentoring the development team to improve development efficiency and ensure that our codebase is maintainable and extensible.
- Implementing good practices for code quality, version control, continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD), and deployment.
- Staying up to date with the latest Android technologies and trends, evaluating and implementing new tools and techniques to improve our development process, accessibility, and testing practices.
Qualifications and skills required:
- At least 5 years of proven experience as an Android Developer, with a track record of delivering high-quality, accessible apps.
- Proficiency in Kotlin and other relevant Android technologies, such as Android Jetpack and MVVM.
- Good expertise in some popular libraries such as Epoxy, Ktor, Retrofit, Koin and JUnit4.
- A good understanding of Android accessibility and usability guidelines, such as TalkBack, and experience implementing them in code.
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as CircleCI to automate the build, test, and deployment process.
- Experience working with remote data via REST and JSON (JSON:API) and integrating third-party APIs.
What’s in it for you:
- Private medical insurance for you and your children after the probationary period
- Tech & Cycle Scheme
- Company Pension Scheme
- Free Flu Jab for you and your family members
- 20 days holiday per annum plus UK Bank Holidays
- 10 days nonconsecutive sick leave with full payment per annum
- Flexible working hours and fully remote working mode arrangement to promote work-life balance
- Discretionary Bonus (Dependent upon organisational and individual performance)
- Upscaling and training opportunities, assisting you to stay up to date and explore new skills
- A collaborative and inclusive work environment that values diversity and teamwork
- Unique policies that value diversity and inclusion, including volunteering policy so you can pursue external interests
- Opportunities for growth and advance your career within the company, or switch between technologies and projects
- A budget for learning resources, courses, and books to support your continuous learning and growth within the company after the probationary period
Research tells us that applicants can be put off from applying for a role if they do not meet all the criteria or have been on an extended career-break. If you think you would be a good match for this role and can demonstrate some transferable experience, please apply. Don’t let the absence of a few checkboxes discourage you. Your qualifications and potential could be valuable assets, and we welcome applicants who can contribute to our team’s success.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
We are a disability confident employer and welcome applications from disabled candidates. We recognise that some candidates may require reasonable adjustments during the interview process and are committed to making these adjustments where needed.
Our goal is to create an inclusive and accessible workplace for all, and we value your unique perspective. We offer disabled applicants the option of requesting that their application is considered under the terms of our Guaranteed Interview Scheme (GIS). To be invited to interview or assessment under this scheme, you must show
- in your supporting statements that you meet the minimum criteria for the role.
- Simply email us the following declaration below to [email protected]
- Email subject: DECLARATION - Your Name + [job title]
- Email Content: “I consider myself to have a disability as defined above and I would like to apply under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme”
If you do not wish to apply under the GIS, but do require us to make reasonable adjustments at interview, then please let us know what those adjustments will be.
A request under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme does not guarantee you a job. At interview, the best candidate will be offered the post.
We are committed to ensuring accessibility for all candidates. If you require the job description in an alternative format, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us - [email protected].
If you have any questions about the application process, please let us know.